Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no audio, choppy video after NVidia installation

• Please log in to reply

sandrews2332

sandrews2332

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys, I'm hoping one of you can help me better than some of the tech guys I've been calling!

First of all, I have a Dell Dimension XPS Pentium 4 3.4 GHz, 3.39 GHz, 2.25 GB RAM. I run XP Home

My story of pain and frustration began when I upgraded my video card from an Nvidia 6800 to a 500 MB RAM Nvidia 8600. This happened quite a while back, late January I think it was. Although not the most technical person, I installed it myself and am almost positive I didn't ruin anything by installing it. Stupid me forgot to uninstall the previous nvidia drivers, so upon booting up my system, I ran into the bsod, rambling about bios. Upon a call to tech support, I booted into safe mood and took care of the problem.

All seemed to go well, until the next day. After starting up, I began to notice that video across the board is choppy and unwatchable. This applies to computer games (the reason I got that dreaded video card in the first place) and anything in media player, from downloaded tv shows to my own dvds. To coincide with the bad video, all audio, from cds to game sound effects, to the windows start up jingle, is gone. I can run applications (like mozilla) fine. 3 tech guys and about 8 hrs of my life later, the problem was miraculously cured. This was beginning of February.

It is now June and I just moved. Upon booting up at my new place, the problem is back. Choppy video and no audio. I don't really want to call tech support back, as I don't want to block out a 3 hr chunk of time for multiple days again. Plus, the majority of their advice will be to uninstall and reinstall video drivers, and I remember doing that at least 5 times back in February, with no success. I have no recollection of exactly how the problem was fixed almost half a year ago. I'm at a loss because, as previously stated, I'm not as computer literate as I'd like to be.

Anyone up to help crack this case?

Thanks, Sean

Advertisements

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi sandrews2332

From your description of the problem I can only suggest that you inspect the actual video card.

You say that your problem has occurred after moving....therefore it is possible that the video card has become unseated from its slot on the motherboard. I would open your computer case and ensure that the card is securely in place. It might even be worth taking the card out completely and putting it back in again. (Whilst the card is out, inspect the gold connectors and make sure none of them are scratched).

Boot the machine up and then see if there is any change.

If things are still as they were, then I would go to the Nvidia website and download the latest drivers. I know you have done this in the past, however sometimes even the smallest update to the driver can make all the difference.

Also, run Windows update, as it can sometimes provide drivers too.

I hope this helps.