Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thoroughly Confused

• Please log in to reply

magic12

magic12

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) I have an Alienware Laptop, which has been at a friends house for the past year. I got it back tonight and the first thing it said, "Operating System Not Found." I got my system disk out Windows XP 2, and attempted to reinstall it. The screen displayed that it was reading the disc, and when it got to "The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer. Use the up and down arrow keys to select an item from the list.
"To set up windows xp on the selected item hit ---enter
"To create a partition in the unpartitioned space----hit "C"
"To delete selected partition, press----"D"

(This is what showed up under the above statement)

Unknown Disk
(there is no disk in this drive)

Unknown Disk

Unknown Disk

Unknown Disk

I was unable to select any of the above anyway. When I hit enter....I got another message saying that Windows has to close or serious harm would be down to my computer.

Please advise as to what I should do.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Are you even sure that there is a physical disk in the drive? Given that you haven't seen it for a year someone may have removed it. You could try another bootable CD such as a Linux disk to see if the drive is recognized. You can also go into BIOS to see if it's recognized there. Those would be the first things to try.