Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

div spacing problem/background issues

• Please log in to reply

brando23

brando23

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Would someone be so kind as to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong with my current coding?

http://brando.jejune.nu/

I have a few DIVs:
Container (ALL)
Header
Navigation
Container (Content, Sidebar)
Content
Sidebar
Footer

The problems are:

A) Each of the "boxes" (once you visit the URL above, you'll know what I mean) are supposed to have 8px of the website background in between them. All of them have this except for the navigation: it's completely adjacent to the header and it's maybe 4 px away from the content and sidebar.

How do I fix this? I've tried just about everything.

B) I have multiple pages where the length of the sidebar may be longer than the length of the content div - but on other pages, it's the opposite and the content is longer than the sidebar. How do I make the background repeat so that this is no longer a problem?

Right now, on the main page, the content stops and the sidebar continues until there's nothing left in it's div. I want them both equal height (without a scrollbar), similar to if I coded using tables.

I've asked so many people and everyone's been having issues with these two problems :)

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Any reason why you didn't want to set the bg.jpg as a background for the whole page instead of for #bodycontainer and #sidebar?

Ron

brando23

brando23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The 8px spacing between each box would show the background image - I don't want that

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
With this

...are supposed to have 8px of the website background in between them.

I am getting confused before I even look at your problems.

Ron