Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Radeon 9800 XT PRO - Corrupt Display

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm currently having issues with my video card.

Click here to see what I mean.

Intel 3.2 GHz HT 800MHz FSB
8x AGP 256MB 9800 XT PRO

It has been giving me problems off and on for a while. I have done nearly every single thing that can be done and I'm still at a loss. I have a corrupt display but the system runs fine. I never have any rebooting problems or anything like that. Reboots will fix it, but it can take from 1 to 15 reboots to get it to work and when I attempt to play World of Warcraft it screws it all up even if it is one of the lucky normal reboots. Unreal Tournament (the original) will play fine.

I found out that it is a problem with Hardware Acceleration. More accurately it appears to be an issue with Direct3D or DirectDraw. If I change that slide bar for hardware acceleration to where those two are disabled, then the display goes back to "normal".

I've tried the following with no success:

Windows Detected Drivers
Multiple versions of Catalyst Drivers
Omega Drivers
All the above after reformatting
Updated BIOS
Updated Chipset Drivers
Removing/cleaning/reseating card, compressed air, touching up AGP contacts.

At this point I'm at a loss. If anyone has ANY ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance to anyone who could offer any insight.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Overwhelming response...

I ditched the ATI and went back to nVidia and got a 6600GT. ATI can suck it.