Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MCShield Problem & Other Problems

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
So sorry, I posted this in the wrong sub-forum. I didn't realize I was in the wrong place. This is the right place now, I believe.

Here is what I posted:

I've noticed that when mcshield.exe runs in the Task Manager, it often causes Firefox to stop responding, even though the CPU usage is only about 22%. It shows the file is 83,000 memory kilobits, which is very high and causes Firefox to stop responding.

After reading another post from "some random guy" about mcshield using up all his memory, I tried forcing the process to quit in the Task Manager, only to have it refuse to quit! This has NEVER happened before to me. I couldn't make it quit, even though when I clicked force quit, my computer made the usual tink sound, and the window popped to ensure I wanted to quit. After this, I tried to force Firefox to quit, but it wouldn't respond, either.

I finally had to turn my computer off and let it sit for about 15 minutes. There are some other suspicious things that have been happening too. When I've run Spybot for the last 5 weeks or so, it hasn't found any suspicious files. This doesn't seem right to me. I always have something that comes up.

The thing I think is very weird is Ad-Aware 2007. When I've tried to update for the last 5-6 weeks, the only files I can update are these language files (Italian, Flemish, Dutch and Portuguese). I don't need other languages, so I skip these files. I just can't believe these are the only updates in the last two months. No other files have been presented in the last several weeks. I think this is very weird. However, when I run a scan (usually a complete scan), I do find that I have around 100 infections almost every time. (Tracking cookies). I always remove them. The number of infections varies, and I run the scan about once a week.

Today, my desktop running XP had trouble loading the eBay site in Firefox. I had to restart it to get it to load at all. I tried unplugging my DSL modem several times, as sometimes that can be the problem, but that did not solve the problem of eBay not loading. I also have laptop with Firefox, and it seemed to be fine with loading eBay.

My Task Manager shows mcshield running almost constantly, and it's one of the biggest memory-stealers! When I found out it was a MacAfee file, I tried to force it to quit, but it wouldn't quit. In fact, the Task Manager seemed to stop working after I tried to force mcshield to quit. This is all very weird.

Any solutions?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link. There is plenty information there about the process which is part of McAfee real time shield. You may consider un-installing McAfee and instead install one of the free antiviruses like Avast (my favorite) or AVG 8.0.