Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft sites & live messener on wireless networks

• Please log in to reply

Hussam Magdy

Hussam Magdy

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi everybody ,

3 months ago , my ISP changed some setting and called me to reconfigure my touter, after I did , windows live didnt work on my cable connected compter cp to my belkin router , nor did ANY microsoft related site and hotmail ... I contacted them and they old me to change my MT to 1400 using drtcp which I did and everything worked again , Now I bought a laptop which is wireless-connected to my router and I get the same problem again , tried to use the same method and changed mtu from the laptop to 1400 and it didnt work ... contacted them , they said they have no idea and htat it should work since since my cpu works ordinarly and that my laptop had something wrongs :S:S My laptop is fine as I tried to connect another one and it didnt work , only cpu works now with microsoft and wndows live messenger ... BTW everything else works on my laptop , every site except those related to microsoft , microsft update , hotmail , windows live messenger and so on ... live messnger code is Error code: 80048820
Extended error code: 80048439

and my ISP configuration is PPPoE and LLC encapsulation , whatever that is ...
Please help :) thanks in advance ...

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Symptoms

When you start Messenger, you are unable to sign in, the following message is displayed after the sign in process is interrupted.

“Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to the MSN Messenger at this time. Please try again later.

To let us try and troubleshoot the problem, click the Troubleshoot button.”

Error 80048820
Causes

* The system clock may be set incorrectly.
* The Dynamic Link Library (DLL) softpub.dll, may not be registered on the system.
* Internet Explorer may be using an invalid proxy server.

Resolutions

* Double click on the clock in the taskbar and make sure the system clock is set correctly.
* Register softpub.dll using the regsvr32.exe tool.
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 softpub.dll and then click OK.
3. Restart MSN Messenger.

Error 80048820 Fix 1
* Remove any Internet Explorer proxy server settings
1. In Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.
2. In the Internet Options dialog box, go to the Connections tab.
3. Click LAN Settings…
4. Untick the Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections) checkbox.
5. Click OK and OK again Internet Options.