Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop - internet connection question

• Please log in to reply

Pack_Leader

Pack_Leader

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If I have remote desk top on my computer at home and at the office can I turn off the internet on
my home computer? As you can tell I'm new to remote desk top.

Advertisements

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey! Um, no! You have to use the internet to connect to your home computer from the office. Hence, you can't turn off your home internet if you want to be able to connect to that machine.

Pack_Leader

Pack_Leader

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I want to turn off the internet so my teenager isn't on the internet all day. ( on summer vacation)

Edited by Pack_Leader, 12 June 2008 - 03:16 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here for Parental Control Software Reviews

Reviews say Safe Eyes, CyberPatrol and Net Nanny all do a good job blocking questionable websites and monitoring kids' time online

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
As far as I can tell from the function of Remote Desktop, you should be able to access everything on your computer at home including the shutdown option. Of course, once done, you can't turn it back on :). Best thing is just to try it. Even better, is what was suggested about installing NetNanny software.

Ref:
Get started using Remote Desktop with Windows XP Professional
Remote Desktop Protocol

Ron