Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop for college

• Please log in to reply

berkeley

berkeley

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

I've been roaming the boards for a while but decided to make an account because I have a question. I am going off to berkeley next year to study computer science, and with money from graduation, am buying a laptop.

I come here for advice because I have never owned a laptop before. I consider myself good with computers, but don't know much about the laptop world.

• Price? Not a big issue, no more than 1800 I'd say, but no use in spending more money when I won't use the extra features.
  • Mac or Windows? I'm heavily leaning towards Windows as I consider myself very proficient with it (whereas I have only slight experience with macs), but if someone wants to try to change my mind, go ahead.
  • What will I be using it for? General use (web brower, IM, MS Office), some gaming (WoW perhaps, nothing serious and too graphic intensive), some programming, some design work (Photoshop, web design, etc)
  • Size? The laptop will mainly be sitting in my dorm room, but I need it to be small and light enough that I can carry it throughout the hilly campus: to the library, class, etc. My dad has a 13 inch which seems to small and my mom a 17 inch which seems WAY too big. I'm thinking in the 14-15 range. Your recommendations are appreciated.
  • Specs? At the minimum 2 gigs of memory and a decent dual core processor. I'm a sucker for good screen resolution too, don't want to be on a 1024x768 or anything.
  • Other factors? I'd like it to be sleek, pretty, have a nice smooth look to it. A built in webcam would be nice, but if a laptop is perfect for me in every other way, then I guess I can buy an external one. As for battery life, I will be using it on planes and trains, so it should last for a few hours.

So far the Dell XPS 1530 looks nice. Any comments about it?

Thanks so much for any help!

Advertisements