Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD 0x000000F7

• Please log in to reply

tinap180

tinap180

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I keep getting the blue screen of death on my computer. It states a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. Then it says at the bottom STOP: 0x000000F7. I can't find a reason for this error in any other posts

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Bug Check 0xF7: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

The DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER bug check has a value of 0x000000F7. This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.
Parameters

A driver overran a stack-based buffer (or local variable) in a way that would have overwritten the function's return address and jumped back to an arbitrary address when the function returned.

This is the classic "buffer overrun" hacking attack. The system has been brought down to prevent a malicious user from gaining complete control of it.
Resolving the Problem

Use the KB (Display Stack Backtrace) debugger command to get a stack trace.

The last routine on the stack before the buffer overrun handlers and bug check call is the one that overran its local variable.

Generally this is a bad driver causing this type of error. Check to see in what programs you are getting this error. Also take a look in your event viewer for any problems. You just need to trace this down to what software is causing the problem.

SRX660

mmcmahon94

mmcmahon94

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm getting the exact same error. Could you explain how to run the kb command etc and what to look for.

Thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You really have to have some advanced knowledge to be able to use debuggers. Most debuggers are used by software developers to trace problems in software coding. I threw that answer in because that is what the question was. The real answer for most people is to reinstall windows on the computer, usually with the repair option.

Heres a good explanation of what debuggers are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debugger

Unless you are into finding why a software acts a certain way, i would not think of using a debugger. You are getting into hacking territory when you start doing this sort of thing. I was messing with debuggers many years ago when i was going to be one of the greatest hackers alive. I did find better things to do with my time, but it was fun for a while.

SRX660