Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reset ip address and gateway

• Please log in to reply

favero

favero

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi:

Does anyone with greater knowledge than me know anything about reset ip adresses and gateway. My net connection (through a wired smart ax MT882 modem) fell out early this morning. I checked the ipconfig through the command prompt and everything was working fine. I pinged my gateway result fine. Did the same on the ip the 192.168.1.1 thing and it timed out. I went out and eventually, upon return to my flat ran ipconfig and the numbers had been mysteriously the numbers on the gateway changed to 169.212.178.169 (I can't remember the numbers, though it did start with 169. I couldn't even log onto my modem. So eventually and with great reluctance called Talk Talk's helpline and was put through to level 2 support after basic checks on level 1. He got me to renew adaptors, flush something else, various refreshing processess and reseting the modem itself to renew factory settings I was to discover no joy. It was only after leaving it for another hour that eventually I turned my PC on and eventually I was able to log into my modem and put in my log settings into the Smart ax MT882 screen that the internet went online again, though even now it's falling out as the connection stablizes. Do you think this problem will occur again and come to that what caused it in the first place would you suggest?

Cheers in advance.

Favero.
P.S. My O.S. is Windows XP home edition.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Its hard to say if its going to happen again. Any IP that begins with 169 means its set to automatically get an IP address, and it failed. Windows will default to one of those addresses. But there is no way to know if its going to happen again.

favero

favero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I bought a wireless modem anyway and things are running smooth (finger's crossed) so far. Cheers for the response. I was beginning to wonder if I'd get any feeback at all. It's likely to be a dodgy ethernet adaptor I've been told, hence i went wireless.

Fav.