Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Move HD from on computer to another

• Please log in to reply

Matt Slick

Matt Slick

• Pip
  • 4 posts
A while back, if I remember correctly, I had an XP Pro build. I needed to take the Hard Drive from that system and move it to my new system. But, it wouldn't boot up when I moved it. So, I put it back in the first system, booted up, went to the registry, removed the enum key, shut it down, put it into the new system and booted up. XP then redected all the hardware and ran fine.

Can this be done with Vista? Anyone know?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Removing the eNum keys is a Windows 98/Millennium trick only. If XP was installed without ACPI support you'd probably get away with it. If it is installed with ACPI it'll probably complain bitterly on the next reboot and by the time you've messed around with it it's usually just as quick to get an XP CD out and do a Repair.

As new systems now support ACPI and Vista will have been built around an ACPI enabled setup, it's more likely its going to fall over if you try this trick. If you want to try it that's up to you but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work.

Edited by Neil Jones, 13 June 2008 - 03:35 AM.

Matt Slick

Matt Slick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a bunch. That is what I needed to know. I'll not mess with it. I'll just rebuild it from the ground up.