Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird XP shutdown problems...

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sorry...this forum moves to fast. Please PM me if things get lost. Since last I looked, I've done several hundred computers and now I need to re-read this thread.....

and peterm...we're not using hijackthis for malware here....this is just to get a handle on running processes and startup programs....

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
BTW, yes, by all means, reinstall an av program

darn peculiar thing...looking around again and you're not alone, but no one seems to have an answer.

When are you around for several hours? I might want to do a remote desktop and take a peek

M-Rex

M-Rex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
gerryf,

Thank you. I really appreciate your help with this. I've done everything I can think of to fix this. Were you able to determine anything from the HijackThis log I posted AFTER I installed AVG?

Thank you again.
M.

M-Rex

M-Rex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
gerryf,

I will be available on Wednesday afternoon, after 3:00 pm PST. If this is convenient for you, I could sure use the help.

Thanks again,
M.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, nothing in the log....

this is a most vexing problem....I've looked all over the 'net and no one has ever solved it that I can find.....except people who had an issue with mcafee, who uninstalled and then reinstalled and all the problems went away

Hopping I can see something that you're missing

mttpalmer

mttpalmer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had this problem for about a year now and have not been able to find a fix anywhere online. Any post results in the same suggestions (spyware, etc...) I'm glad to see an expert is working on a solution.

The only thing I have been able to surmise is that the problem only occurs after resuming from standby status. I have never noticed a problem after a shutdown/restart.

Sometimes I will be warned, immediately after resuming, that problems are ahead when it gives me two taskbar icons that say a network connection is unplugged (when none are). When I then attempt a shutdown, I get the notice HiddenFaxWindow is not responding. I click End Now and it acts like it is shutting down (the computer) but never actually does. I then have to hold down the power button.

I can't wait to see what happens here!

WhyIamNoMan

WhyIamNoMan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This looks like a good place to find an answer to this. I've been having the same problem on my Dell. I don't think it's related to an (HP) X (Dell) interaction: there is no HP software left on this machine. Dell's sight recommended changing firewall settings for HPZipm12.exe. That didn't work, nor did uninstalling it, nor did uninstalling every HP printer, nor did uninstalling every last HP program that Norton System Works Cleanup could find.

In the meantime, I'll keep searching the Web.

Edited by WhyIamNoMan, 22 May 2005 - 09:10 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I know it says hidden fax window and you say there is no fax
I wonder if it could be a hidden device that is running. Should we look at
showing all hidden devices?
Show hidden devices