Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

half my HD files missing?

• Please log in to reply

Chemical05

Chemical05

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a USB HD 320 Meg by acomdata and I use it to store all (most) of my working files, it is labeled as drive D:. Over the past couple of days the drive locked up or at least wasn't being recognized so I turned off then on the HD and it was back to normal. Today I noticed that when I pulled up the D:program files/ it lists the directories A-I then past I are missing and windows says that D:program files/ has crashed and need diskscan to fix it. I havn't done anything yet for fear it will perminently loose the data. I tried running check disk for drive D: and it says it can't finish. I am running Win XP pro. Please help.

Thanks,
Alchemist05

Advertisements

Chemical05

Chemical05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
here is some more info on the problem... the drive shows 50 Gig of used space but when I select all file and folders, only 25 Gig shows up. I am trying to run 'Recover My Files' but it doesn't seem to be finding the missing info, at least not 25 Gig's worth. Is it possible for the data to be there (i.e. not showing up as deleted) but missing from the directory listing (File Allocation Table ... somethig like that). Please help.

Alchemist

Chemical05

Chemical05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
wierd... ok, apparently the programs and files are still there, I just ran a program that doesn't show up in the directory listing. So.... how can I fix this, Windows is still suggesting I run 'chkdsk utility' which I have not done yet, because I am not sure what it will do, I don't want to loose any of the files or data. What should I do?

Thanks,
Alchemist

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you don't have backups already ..do so so first...any data that you don't have 2 copies of is data you really don't care about

then run chkdsk /f/r on the drive