Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting Problems

• Please log in to reply

eggy86

eggy86

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there, I recently built a computer with help from a friend and it sometimes has problems with booting correctly. It's not an urgent issue, but it would be nice to have the problem sorted out.

Basically, when I turn the computer on the fans will go for a couple of seconds, stop for a couple of seconds, then start again and boot up. No problem there. However, occasionally it'll do this process without booting up. It'll just keep going on, then off, fans on, fans off etc. So I have to turn it off at the plug and wait a short amount of time. When this happens, in most instances it'll load up next time when I turn it all back on, but 1 time out of 10 it won't and it'll take a good 30 minutes before I can get the thing to work. Has anyone got any solutions for me?

I started to overclock the processor then stopped and reset the voltage as I was worried this was the cause, but alas it hasn't, as it was doing it before hand too..

And two tiny little 'issues' that I wouldn't really describe as a problem, but a clean up of these would be cool.
a) When I load the computer it says "Hard drive not detected" when booting, yet once you're in Windows it's obviously detected. Any thoughts on this?
b) Before the Windows Logo comes up a white loading bar appears, this never used to happen. Any idea as to why it came up, and how can I turn it off?

My Computer specs and equipment are: (Copypasta time).

Intel E2160 Socket 775 Pentium Dual Core 2x1.8Ghz 800FSB Retail Boxed Processor

MSI P35 Neo-F Socket 775 FSB1333 onboard 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Netgear WG311T 108mbps Wireless PCI Card

OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC with LIFETIME WARRANTY

Coolermaster Centurion 5 All Black Case + 550W eXtreme Power Plus PSU

Antec Pro 80mm 3pin Double Ball Bearing Case Fan

Optiarc AD-7200S 20X DVD±RW/DL/RAM Internal SATA Bare Black Drive - OEM

Sony 3.5" Floppy Drive Black - OEM

Logitech MX400 Performance Laser Mouse Silver

Saitek Eclipse Keyboard - USB

Logitech X-210 - 2.1 25W RMS Speakers

Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band

Antec Tricool 92mm Case Fan - 3/4pin connector

Samsung SM2032BW 20"TFT Monitor Widescreen 1680x1050 3000:1 300cd/m2 2ms VGA/DVI-D Glossy Black 3 Years Warrany

Thermalright Ultra-90 775 (775)

Maxtor DiamondMax +22 7200RPM SATA II/300 500GB 32MB Cache - OEM **Special Offer**

TekValue nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI/HDTV (PCI-E) - Retail **Special Offer**

Most of the equipment were purchased from ebuyer.com, apart from the last...3 items, they were from tekheads.co.uk.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your responses.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Initial boot problems are almost always caused by a power supply issue.
The hard drive issue may also be caused by the PSU if the drive isn't receiving enough power to spin up before the BIOS finds it.
The white loading bar, again, potential hard drive issue which may relate back to a PSU issue.