Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

please help why did diskcheck say this entry will be truncated?

• Please log in to reply

donnag35044

donnag35044

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
This morning my computer did a disk check on itself and this is what it said

Checking the disk for inconsistency, checking files and folders, checking free space
Then it showed some files and folders being invalid and said entry will be truncated what does this mean? after it finished I manually ran a disk check to see if it fixed the problems and Im assuming it did cause on the manuel disk check there were no errors found so does that mean that the first disk check fixed the problem? And how can I block bad sectors on a hard drive? About 6 months ago my computer said I had a bad sector could this be why I had some errors this morning? Please help any advice appreciated. Thanks Donna G. this is the first time i've gotten the message that says entries will be truncated

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Bad sectors on a hard drive mean its going to pack up any time soon. Not really repairable, its far quicker just to replace the drive. Your errors indicate that data is sitting on bad sectors and is corrupt. It will only be a matter of time before a key file ends up on a bad sector and then your computer doesn't boot anymore.

donnag35044

donnag35044

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
is there a way to block the bad sectors that are causing the problem??? :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

is there a way to block the bad sectors that are causing the problem??? :)

Please read my post again.

Hard drives are manufactured to guard against bad sectors, a bad sector is basically a part of the drive that's become physically damaged.
Modern drives have the ability to do what's called mapping, which is basically where the bad sector should be, look somewhere else instead. Bit like saying instead of looking at square B1 on an A-Z map, look at D5 instead.

However this isn't a infinite solution because there are only so many spare areas for a bad sector to be mapped to. Once they run out, that's it and then you start seeing symptoms like yours. The only solution is to replace the hard drive because it is physically damaged on the inside and you cannot do anything with it yourself. There is no two ways about it I'm afraid. The only way from here is downwards and your drive will simply pack up altogether and you will lose everything on it.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi donnag35044,

What you are seeing is a checkdisk prompt and are correct in assuming that it is similar to Scandisk. When an entry has been truncated it basically means deleted. What happens is, a file becomes corrupted and chkdsk finds it. It then removes it.

Regards,

mirso