Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Athlon upgrade

• Please log in to reply

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I currently have an amd athlon (original) processor installed onto a desktop computer. I would like to get a better processor without upgrading the motherboard. As far as I can tell the AMD Athlon XP would be the right choice. Any advice on this?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Athlon XP may be better than the original Athlon but whether its a worthwhile upgrade depends entirely on what you've got now and what you want to replace it with. This technology is five or six years old now so a processor upgrade may not be worth it when you consider you can replace a board, memory and processor for half as much again and get far better performance out of that than spending money on something that's six years old.

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
So what your saying is it's cheaper to get a new motherboard, or better. I currently have the first amd athlon processor make (think it might be K7?) on a amd 761 board, I have 1 gig of ram and an nvidia geforce 2 gts graphics card. I think I can get the processor for like thirty bucks which seems pretty cheap and I thought it was supposed to be the same tech level as pentium 4. I think it's a good deal since I don't have much to spend.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
if you have the extra money upgrade the system completely new mobo / ram / what not a decent system could double the speed of your current system for a cheap as 500$.

What speed is your current CPU?

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
For what it's worth you can easily nab a newer gen single core (sometimes a 3800+ dual core) AMD CPU on FSFT forums for around $25.00 to $45.00. Lots of people dumping older K8 939 setups in forums that are very affordable. This would be so much faster than a year-1999-2001 model AMD setup. Moreover you can get a CPU/Mobo combo at a Fry's electronics pretty cheap these days.