Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware & Spyware Removal [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Basically the same as I got

Stop 0xC2 or BAD_POOL_CALLER
The Stop 0xC2 message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations in the following ways:

By allocating a memory pool size of zero bytes.
By allocating a memory pool that does not exist.
By attempting to free a memory pool that is already free.
By allocating or freeing a memory pool at an IRQL that was too high.
This Stop message is typically due to a faulty driver or software.

Possible Resolutions:

A Stop 0xC2 messages might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
A Stop 0xC2 messages might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (such as disk controllers, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.
If you encounter a Stop 0xC2 message while upgrading to Windows XP, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates.

Have you installed any new hardware recently or updated any drivers.

I will get this part out the way now

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :)

Double click OTScanit once again and you should see a CleanUp! button, press that button, you may get prompted by your firewall that OTScanit wants to contact the internet, allow this, a cleanup.txt will be downloaded, a message dialog will ask you if you want to proceed with the cleanup process, click Yes. This will delete all the tools you have downloaded plus itself

Now to get you off to a good start we will re-set your restore points so that all the bad stuff is gone for good. Then if you need to restore at some stage you will be clean. There are several ways to reset your your restore point but this is my method:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore.
2. On the dialogue box that appears select Create a Restore Point
3. Click NEXT
4. Enter a name e.g. Clean
5. Click CREATE

You now have a clean restore point, to get rid of the bad ones:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup.
2. In the Drop down box that appears select your main drive e.g. C
3. Click OK
4. The System will do some calculation and the display a dialogue box with TABS
5. Select the More Options Tab.
6. At the bottom will be a system restore box with a CLEANUP button click this
7. Accept the Warning and select OK again, the program will close and you are done

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free program: It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klien: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Keep safe :)

Can you let me know about the drivers or hardware

Advertisements

hsoup

hsoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I replaced a DVD drive after all this started. It may have exaserbated the problem, but it wasn't the origin as far as I know. Perhaps it was a result of trying to reload the driver for the old DVD drive, thinking that was the problem since the device was showing up and indicated it was functioning correctly. I do not recall updating any drivers prior to that time. As a side note, I thought it was odd when we first started this process that Java was out of date, because I use the auto update feature and thought it should have been current.

hsoup

hsoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Does this mean that the virus problem is not related to the scan problem that shuts down the computer? I assumed since it all happened at the same time, relatively speaking, that the virus was the cause.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Java was out of date, because I use the auto update feature and thought it should have been current.

The autoupdate function is not what it should be

Does this mean that the virus problem is not related to the scan problem that shuts down the computer? I assumed since it all happened at the same time, relatively speaking, that the virus was the cause.

That is my belief at the moment, as if it was a virus causing the problem then we would not have been able to run dr. web or combofix. But now I have removed all the tools and restore points lets resolve this by a process of elimination

Download and then run SuperAntispyware
  • On the first page select Check for Updates
  • On completion select SCAN YOUR COMPUTER
  • On the next page select COMPLETE SCAN and tick ALL your drives
  • The next stage will take a while as your entire drive(s), memory and registry are scanned
  • When it has completed click NEXT
  • The next screen shows the problems found click OK
  • On the next screen place a tick against all items and select NEXT
  • Now to get the log Go to the PREFERENCES button on the right bottom
  • Select the STATISTICS/LOG tab
  • Highlight the scan just completed and click VIEW LOG
  • This will open a notepad text file copy and paste this to your next reply

hsoup

hsoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I ran SUPERAntiSpyware and got another Stop: 0x000000 8E(0xC0000005, 0x8054B51A, 0xA8BE1680, 0x00000000)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Cause
The KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check is a very common bug check. To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated.

Common exception codes include the following:

0x80000002: STATUS_DATATYPE_MISALIGNMENT indicates that an unaligned data reference was encountered.
0x80000003: STATUS_BREAKPOINT indicates that a breakpoint or ASSERT was encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system.
0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates that a memory access violation occurred.

Parameters

The following parameters appear on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
1 The exception code that was not handled 0xC0000005
2 The address where the exception occurred 0x8054B51A
3 The trap frame 0xA8BE1680
4 Reserved

I am afraid this is looking more and more like a hardware problem, either RAM or BIOS. But I am afraid we have reached the extent of my knowledge

If you do not know the specific cause of the exception, consider the following items:

Hardware incompatibility. Make sure that any new hardware installed is listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products List.
Faulty device driver or system service. A faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

I would now recommend that your post in the Hardware forum http://www.geekstogo...pherals-f9.html where the real experts are, reference this thread so that they can see what has been done so far. Sorry I can not be of more assistance :)

hsoup

hsoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry for the delay in responding -- got a little balled up in the last day or two. I'll post as you recommended (soon as I get a break). Thank you very, very much for all your assistance.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.