Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista 64bit Install Taking Forever on "Expanding Files"

• Please log in to reply

Flint

Flint

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm worried something might be wrong. Here's the story.

I just built my first PC. Gigabygte GA-EP35-DS3R mobo, 4 gb of RAM, WD 640GB hard drive. I'm trying to install Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

It gets past the "Copying Windows files" step in like 3 seconds.. but then it gets to "Expanding files" and its a whole different story. Right now it has been sitting at this step, on 6% complete for about 20 minutes now! It seems to be running fine because the "..." is animated and if I click the red X to close the window, it responds fine asking me if I want to cancel. This tells me nothing is frozen.

Prior to this, I had two other failed attempts at installing Vista. The first time got past 50% on this step before giving me a blue screen Stop error message. The second time ended up giving me a different Stop message.

Since it is my first build, I am concerned I may have done something wrong. One thing I notice is, on the previous screen when it asks me where I want to install Windows, it shows my hard drive as only having like 590-something GB, even though it's supposed to be 640 GB. Could this be related?

Also.. I have read that Vista has "issues" during Installation if you have more than 2-3 GB of RAM, even though 64-bit is supposed to be compatible with more.

Any advice? If there's something I need to change or fix, i'd rather find out now and do it before I wait several hours to see this go up 1% before giving me another BSOD.

Advertisements