Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System restore incomplete

• Please log in to reply

Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
the other day avg picked up Trojan Horse Generic10.ALOU in C:\RECYCLER and C:\System Volume information\_restore (theres also long codes after (registery keys?) i prob got from a game i dled... (a person in the place i got it said thanks and a peep i know said it was safe so maybe false positive?...) but anyway the next afternoon i tryed to do a system restore it goes through the restore like it worked but when pc restarts where it norm says your files restored it says Restore Incomplete please try another restore point no files have been restored or sumthin like that (i have tryed a few from a few weeks back... all the same) pc seems to be running fine btw since the last system restore i have dled avg 8.0. I've heard that if 1 point gets corrupt they all can but id like to try and use my old 1s if possibal. (sorry for the bad grammer/spelling errors lol) tyvm in advance

EDIT: also in safe mode it says System Restore is unable to protect this computer please restart and run system restore....

Edited by Ericthegreat, 13 June 2008 - 08:28 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
restore points are linked...so if one is bad they are all bad...
you need to turn off restore to clear out all the old bad restore points and then turn restore back on and create a restore point...it should then work again...
how to do this is here...

Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
tyvm but would this be the best/only thing to do? what do you think caused it (had a few power outages) / have you ever heard of trojan horse generic10.ALOU?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there are lots of reasons restore gets screwed up...getting rid of the old ones is the fix for it...

as for trojan horse generic10.ALOU?

you need to go to the malware forum...start here...if your still having problems after those steps...post a hijackthis log here...

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I had just about the same problem, and none of the suggested fixes worked. I was about to re-install XP when I noticed that SuperAntiSpyware has a repair function and one of the repairs is for System Restore. I gave it a try and have had no problems with System Restore since. If you don't have SuperAntiSpyware, you might down load it and give it a try - it's free.

Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
tyvm getting rid of the old points worked

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome.... :)