Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't install new EVGA 8800 GT video card

• Please log in to reply

RinMin

RinMin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So I decided to buy a new graphics card and went with the EVGA GeForce 8800 GT, 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0 I have a dell Optiplex gx280 with a 2.66ghz P4, 2gb DDR2 RAM, a new 500W Power Supply, and obviously a PCI-E x16 slot. I run Windows XP Prof. SP3

Here's the problem. If the graphics card is not inserted then the computer runs fine. Under device manager there are no driver problems. However, once I insert the card and start up XP it does not recognize new hardware. Under device manager it lists one Unknown Device called: Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I tried downloading the driver but when I try to install it says that I don't have the corresponding hardware, which seems to indicate it realizes that it is not using the integrated graphics anymore (By the way, I do get a video signal from the card, although it's a large resolution and very crappy). I tried installing the drivers from the given EVGA CD to no success, it doesn't recognize any of them as legitimate drivers.

Any ideas?

-RinMin

Advertisements

RinMin

RinMin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok... I fixed the problem. Basically I downloaded the 8XXX series XP driver from the website and tried it with that... that worked like a charm. (Now if I only had some games to play on this beast)