Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LaCie USB External Hard Drive not recognised?

• Please log in to reply

Connor D

Connor D

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
After a failed install of Linux on my 80gb External Drive, XP or Vista won't recognise it, XP installed the drivers for it and everything, but would'nt view it. The only thing that can see it is the disk management (diskmgmt.msc) program. I have guessed the Linux install failure was because the drive was foratted wrong?

The Disk Management shows it to have 2 partitions, A healthy, 71.66gb partition (primary), and an unallocated 2.87gb partition. The unallocated partition was a primary partition, but my habit of trying to find an easy fix for things caused me to make it unallocated.

Anyway is there anyway I can use it again? Will it need reformatted? How?, It doesn't show up in CMD!

Help?

Connor

Advertisements

Connor D

Connor D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
OK now I have a full, usable drive,

But I have 3 problems:
1) I know FAT32 doesn't work on drives over 32gb, so I can only format it to NTFS, but the idiots guide says it was preformatted with FAT32, is they any way (apart from partitioning it) to have it FAT32 again?
2) Not a major problem, but, before I had the failed OS install, it showed up as a 'Device With Removable Storage', now it only shows up as a Hard Drive .. ?
3) When 'Safely Removing' the drive, I get a message telling me the ejecting failed because a program is still using the drive, then once I click OK on the messgae, it lets me eject it .. ?

Connor

Edited by Connor D, 14 June 2008 - 03:45 PM.