Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows explorer crashing, pc shutting down

• Please log in to reply

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
You're welcome happyrck... :) :)

Regards,
Olrik

Advertisements

Dezzi

Dezzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Olrick,

I got the Windows CD and did as instructed, nothing has changed though, I still cant copy/move.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Regards,
Olrik

Dezzi

Dezzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks Olrik.

I will not be using my pc during the day so I can run the programme in the day today.

Dezzi

Dezzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Quick question...

Will I need to record the errors manually or will the Memtest have a log?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
I believe you need to write it down. Memtest keeps running until you stop it and I believe it makes no log.

Good luck!
Regards,
Olrik

Dezzi

Dezzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
OKay thanks,

I will leave it to run and check it when I get in from work this evening. I will post back then.

Dezzi

Dezzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Olrick,

The Memtest ran from about 6:30 am to 9:30 pm. I hope that was enough time. What info do I submit, which columns do you want data from?

Thanks
Dezzi

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi Dezzi,

Any errors from the Memtest program indicates a faulty memory module(s).

As soon as your computer starts, enter the BIOS and select to load "Failsafe defaults". Most BIOSes have a similar sort of option somewhere. Run the Memtest program after you have done this, and if it still returns errors I would be tempted to replace the RAM with new sticks.

Do you know how much RAM your system has, and how it is installed in your system? E.G. You may have 1GB of RAM installed in 2x 512MB sticks. It is possible that only one stick is faulty and thus, causing the errors. You can (if you are comfortable with doing so) remove all but one stick of RAM, and test it. Then swap them over and test the other, etc... This will help find if all sticks are faulty or only one.

Cheers

Troy

Dezzi

Dezzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
So... I decided to do the Windows Repair. When I got to the resume screen where the count down begins I started getting messages saying that the files couldn,t be found. When I checked the CD the files where there! I had another XP CD that I had borrowed so I placed it in the other drive and started manually selecting the files from that CD as the messages appeared. This was ofcourse taking way too long so I cam up with an idea... I restarted the pc and used the CD that was working... but Windows wouldnt detect the CD!

I decided that maybe it won't detect it because the repair was done from another CD so I decided to redo the repair process with this new XP CD. When I got to the boot stage, I received an error that the CD was not present or might require formatting. At this point in time I decided to go back to the original 2 CD arrangement but after the welcome page all I got was a black screen. The same thing happened in the safe mode! At this point I think that the cds are the problem so I ask one of my IT friends for a certified functional copy of XP. I got the copy along with Knoppix. I backed up my data and tried the repair agin from this new CD but after checking for a previously installed version of windows I get a screen asking me about partitioned and unpartitioned drive so that didn't work. AT this point I have 3 XP CDs, and no repaired computer.

Strange enough thought I was able to start over the repair process with CD#1 but I still got a black screen after the Windows welcome page.

Today in the forum wizzy2k5_ directed me to a thread that him and Wannabe and a few others had dealt with. I did as directed and a restore from the recovery console, ofcourse I had to use CD#1. The recovery went well, or so I thought. My display settings have been changed;i.e. my monitor resolution. I also have the active desktop recovery back ground. I tried to change that but the display properties menu is missing a lot o information: I can't modify my screen saver, power save settings.Now each time I try to open IE7 it crashes and gives that message that it needs to close..

I hope that I haven't confused anyone and I apologize for the delay in responding to the topic. If you need more info just let me know.

Advertisements