Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100 CPU Usage, Slow Startup Slow Everything

• Please log in to reply

Consequence

Consequence

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hellooo once again.... I am here because Rorschach112 suggested that I should get help from here with my computer. Whats wrong with my computer is obviously that I am having 100 CPU usage from my computer from system. I think this was caused because I stretched out my legs and I kicked my power cord turning off my computer while it was on. So far Ive tried basically:

http://users.telenet...owcomputer.html
http://www.geekstogo...ms-t196751.html
http://www.geekstogo...em-t199136.html

And after following through with what everybody asked or suggested nothing has worked. Ive had this problem for the longest time and it seems like nothing works and im at my last resort right here.

Well back to my pc newho... What happens is I start up my computer and when the windows xp screen loads up it goes into a black screen for a good 2-5 minutes then it will go into another black screen but I can see my mouse this time, then after that It loads up the login screen and I can go from there.

But heres were the 100% CPU Usage comes in. In taskmanager under processes it shows that System is taking up a good 96-99 CPU Usage and thats basically making everything slow on my computer. Im also having Java problems. I dont know if its because of the CPU Usage or if its just java alone, but I cant use anything that requires java. So if I wanted to play a game off of java then it will freeze up whatever it is. Or if i open something that requires java under another browser that whole browser will be frozen and I would have to go to taskmanager in order to end it.

But yeah thats pretty much it.

1) Very Slow Start Up

2) 100% CPU Usage from "system" under task manager

3) Applications are slow because of 2

And I also forgot to mention that windows update is having problems installing what ever it needs to download. It seems like everyday its trying to download something but it never seems to download.

I will add some attachments of photos and websites of what I have done already, I am willing to do WHATEVER you ask me to do just to fix this computer.

I appreciate the help, and you taking the time to read this.

Advertisements

ilukester

ilukester

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay this is my first post. But one of my friends gave me their laptop and they had a high cpu usage. So in installed a process explorer called procexp it said she had high intreputs. so i did some research and came across this. Read post nine. it worked for me. http://forums.cnet.c...ssageID=2412675

Consequence

Consequence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have done the first step with the PIO DMA, and they were all DMA so there was nothing I needed to do there but i did the:

"
1. Open Registry Editor (Start>Run> “regedit”>OK);
2. Expand HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318};
3. Highlight 0001 and click Edit>New>DWORD Value;
4. Type “ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess” and hit Enter;
5. Click Edit>Modify;
6. Enter “1” into the Value Data and hit OK."

And restarted my computer about 2-3 times and that did nothing but made my computer slower. Well atleast the startup.

Every problem on my computer still stands is there any other suggestions that you have?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sometimes the fastest way is a fresh clean install of the OS...do the full format..not the quick format...that way if there are any damaged sectors windows will mark them as bad and not try to write to them...I know its a PITA but sometimes after trying every trick know to man its the only way to get everything working correctly again..download ALL your drivers first and burn them to a cd first...

Consequence

Consequence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Uhm.... Can you explain to me what you want me to do? Because I didnt understand nearly nothing you said right there :) .

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
wipe the drive's and install windows again...put it on the larger drive too..not the 6Gig one

you didn't follow Ztruker's advice in your previous thread...were to busy playing 360...now you want help again

Consequence

Consequence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

wipe the drive's and install windows again...put it on the larger drive too..not the 6Gig one

you didn't follow Ztruker's advice in your previous thread...were to busy playing 360...now you want help again

Well.... I have no clue at all how to whipe the drives and i dont have windows XP CD its lost and can you show me what advice Ztruker had to offer because im pretty sure ive done everything hes asked.