Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows freezes at login screen everytime

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Auron_Hunter

Auron_Hunter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When i hit the power button the computer turns on and starts normally. When I get to the the login screen it will freeze after i put in my password. I booted in safe mode and it didn't quite freeze, but it took over a half hour for the desktop to load after login. It stayed working this slowly as I did a system restore to the previous week. Upon restart, it still froze at login screen. The night before this all started, my computer installed automatic updates before shutdown. In the morning, it wouldn't boot right. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, i would have figured the system restore would have fixed it if it did. Any help, or ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

FunaGuy

FunaGuy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Run a scandisk test

Check this thread to learn..How to do that !
http://kb.wisc.edu/h...age.php?id=5097

Auron_Hunter

Auron_Hunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't have a windows CD. :) The copy of Windows on my comp came from the guy who built me the computer, and he is no longer in the state. I doubt it, but, would a Windows CD with a different key work? Or do I have to ask the guy to mail me a copy of the disc he used?

FunaGuy

FunaGuy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, You can use any key but should be original key from Microsoft

Edited by FunaGuy, 15 June 2008 - 08:26 PM.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Simply give it time to initialize all updates. When you turn it on and see the login screen come up wait about 5 mins and then log in. (or wait at least 2 mins after the hard drive stops working.)

Regards,

mirso

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You will need the CD and you will need to ensure that you have a legal copy of windows before we can help you. If you have any questions, you can refer to the Terms of Use.