Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Cable

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hello Friendly Geeks,

Earlier I thought I had a problem with Firefox or Spyware, but after talking to my ISP about what was happening, they suggested that perhaps I just have a bad USB cable. I kept losing my Internet connection on my desktop, but my laptop was not losing Internet connection. Their suggested fix was to hook up an Ethernet cable from my DSL modem to my desktop. However, when I hook up the cable, I still cannot connect to the Internet. I think the cables stopped working when I put in a second hard drive. A lot of things changed when I did this. Some devices, like my DVD drive started to be recognized again (which was good), but other things stopped working, like this cable. So, I opened up the Hardware Wizard to see what I could find out and it seems I have an Ethernet Controller installed, but the drivers for this device are not installed. How can I find these drivers? My ISP person told me I needed an Ethernet Adapter - not sure if this is the same thing, but when I Googled this, and found a freeware, it put this strange software on my computer that seemed more about chatting than about making my cable work. This just seems odd to me that a cable that comes with the modem would not work. It used to work before I added the second hard drive. How can I determine what kind of Ethernet driver I need? Are there some that work for many kinds of PCs?

In the interim, I hooked up a new USB cable so that I can connect to the Internet. However, it seems silly to do this when I have some perfectly good Ethernet cables that came with my modem.

Any ideas about either an Ethernet driver or adapter?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It would probably help if we knew what type of ethernet you have. Is it on-board in the motherboard or is it a added in card. If on-board what is the name and model of the MB?

If it is a card, any lettering or numbers on the card, could help in finding the correct drivers.

We just need more information to help.

SRX660

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I want to say it's a card 10/100, but I really don't know for sure. Is there some way I can search to find the needed info? Okay, here is what I found by Googling the specs for an Emachines T2865: 1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45. Hope this helps.

Grumpey

Grumpey

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
http://emachines.com...amp;model=T2865

Is a link for your machine.

I believe it's an onboard nic, and you'll have to install the nVidia MCP2 Driver Set.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I went to the site and found that I have a "10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet", but I don't know where to get the "nVidia MCP2 Driver Set" that you are referring to.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Click on the plus sign next to downloads.

http://emachines.com...amp;model=T2865

SRX660

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I downloaded both the nVidia file and the Ethernet file (SIS900_LAN), but I can't use the second one. The nVidia loaded just fine, except I don't know what it's use is for. With the Ethernet file, it seems to be calling for some hardware (a disk) and a physical device that is supposed to be plugged into the PCI slot. I do not have any hardware of this sort. I thought I was getting software by downloading this file.

When I checked in my device manager, it shows that my Ethernet Controller is not working. I thought I could just download a free driver to make it work again. Can I do this?

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
My Ethernet Controller appears to be working now. I checked the Device Manager after running nVidia and saving the LAN file. I guess I didn't have to do anything to make the Ethernet work, except run nVidia. I think perhaps this has solved my problem. I guess I'll know if I lose my Internet connection again.