Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Things Running Slowly After Service Pack 1 Update (Vista)

• Please log in to reply

jacobt

jacobt

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hi all
I finally installed the SP-1 update from Windows Update that my computer has been nagging me about for the last few months now, after a long time of contemplation. I have found that my computer is taking FOREVER to boot up as compared to before. I have Windows boot "NO GUI BOOT" (via MSCONFIG). And each driver it loads takes like 5 or 6 seconds and redraws the screen every time, strangely. Applications seem to hang for along time before they open and the internet is quite slow also. Are these common side-effects from SP-1 with easy fixes or should I roll back with System Restore? Thanks everybody.

Jacob.

Advertisements

TomWij

TomWij

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Hi all
I finally installed the SP-1 update from Windows Update that my computer has been nagging me about for the last few months now, after a long time of contemplation. I have found that my computer is taking FOREVER to boot up as compared to before. I have Windows boot "NO GUI BOOT" (via MSCONFIG). And each driver it loads takes like 5 or 6 seconds and redraws the screen every time, strangely. Applications seem to hang for along time before they open and the internet is quite slow also. Are these common side-effects from SP-1 with easy fixes or should I roll back with System Restore? Thanks everybody.

Jacob.

The slow drivers occur here when I boot without a power cable (then it scrolls the thing up one line at a time),
I suggest you to NOT turn that option on in MSCONFIG.

The first boot after SP1 things are supposed to be slow as all caches/readyboost/... are cleaned by the install,
so it should go fine again after some boots.

Do not use System Restore to solve this problem, you could just remove the update this way:
- Click Start, go to Control Panel and go to Programs and Features. (Where you uninstall programs)
- On the left side click View installed updates and look for the Service Pack 1 update.
- Do a right click the update and select Uninstall.

Edited by TomWij, 15 June 2008 - 03:43 AM.

jacobt

jacobt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thanks for the response. At least one out of the fifty people to view the posting responded. I have restarted about 10 times to work all the bugs out and it still seems to be pretty slow. If it continues to behave badly I guess I will just uninstall the service pack as you illustrated. Thanks for your input.