Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home and/or Pro memory limit

• Please log in to reply

gbowne1

gbowne1

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hey there all!

I just have a quick question. Am I right that Windows XP will not run with more than 3GB of RAM, or is this just a point where the system becomes unstable due to a memory limit or whatever ??????

Greg

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
XP supports up to 4Gb of memory, the most of which is usable will be around the 3.2Gb mark. There is no instability, the extra memory is just not used.
64-bit XP sees up to 128Gb of memory.

gbowne1

gbowne1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok, thank you for the information. How would a person know if he/she has the 64bit edition? I am considering installing 6GB more than the 2GB that I already have, plus using a Athlon 64 x2 chip on a ASUS M3A board, the M3A <GREEN> version.

Greg

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
64-bit XP wasn't particularly mainstream, ran only on specific hardware and actually finding somebody with a copy of XP 64-bit is a bit like trying to find the Holy Grail.