Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New desktop PC

• Please log in to reply

Hussam Magdy

Hussam Magdy

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Guys, each time I decide to upgrade my crappy computer, Pentium 4 2.4GHz ... I end up sleeping from brain over-loading searching abt which part to buy with what part ... I need to build a computer from scratch ... I need it to last at least 2-3 years ...
I heard that for quite the same price u can get a core 2 quad instead of a core 2 duo, is that true ?! how come ?!! and for the graphics card , of course something from 8xxx at least, how long will it last ?? for the card um thinking abt 200$ -250$ max ... same for processor... But I dont have to spend them all if there's better quality for less price , loool ... choosing the optimum between both ...
what abt mother boards ?!! I have no idea how to put stuff together and I'll get someone to do it for me but I have no idea what goes with what , AGP, PCI, PCI2.0 ... what the [bleep] ?!!! how many slots RAM should I have in a mother board , cooling system , case ?!!!! OMG, I need a rest. ...
Guys pls any comment is welcome , maybe all people replying could agree in the end on ONE build I can start buying ...:) so keep comments coming :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Forget about AGP, its dead. Forget PCI as you will probably only install 1 or 2 cards in the computer( thinking sound and TV cards). Ethernet is standard on all newer motherboards. Yes the 8800 Nvidia graphics cards are still tops but unless your a gamer you really don't need it. PCI 2.0 is just a standard. What your really looking at is PCI_E which is the new standard for graphics cards. Most new MB's have at least 1 or 2 PCI-E slots. What you do need to look for in PCI-E is a 16X slot ( maybe 2 if you want SLI) for the best graphics cards, if you think you need one. I usually look for on-board graphics like the 6100 or 7100 serices chipsets on many of the newer motherboards. They do just fine for most computing needs.

Ram needs is simple in that you really don't need more than 2 gigs of memory unless you want to game. If your gaming then you will build a whole different computer from the ground up just for gaming with 64 bit MB, OS, and 4 gigs of memory and usually SLI.

What i like about the new system is they run pretty cool. A basic system of a better CPU heatsink, and a 120 MM good power supply, and maybe just a intake fan to keep things moving thru the case is really all you need. Check out the zerotherm, zalman, and thermotake CPU coolers at newegg. Also look at the Power supplys there. There are reviews on everything at Newegg that you should read. I like Power PC and cooling, Silverstone, and enermax power supplys.

Cases i like to get whatever is handy as most go out the door within a month. Heres a good place to look at different types.

http://www.directron...-atx-cases.html

So theres a start for you. Just remember that a couple of years from now you will probably want a new computer. So i limit myself to Less than $800 on any computer i build for myself. I usually get by with around $500-600 for my computers.

I have a Q6600 quad core/XFX 610i MB comp and also have a dual core 2.2 Intel 965 MB comp and i really can't notice any difference in the speeds on any programs i use. My quad core seldom uses more than one of the cores for most of the programs i use. I have a widget on the desktop that shows core usage so i watch it quite a bit. SO, i would conclude that a Core 2 Duo 3.0 would probably be better for most applications on any computer.

A Wolfdale E8400 3.0 CPU costs $190. Its a 1333 FSB, 65 watt processor. The Q6600 i have is a 95watt 1066 FSB, so it runs hotter and has a slower bus speed. The Q6600 is the same priced as the E8400 so you can pick what you need. If i had to do it over i would have picked the wolfdale 3.0. I'm still running a old pentium 4 - 3.0 computer i built 3 years ago every day so i would not worry about longevity. I do like running intel motherboards, but this time i picked a tiger direct kit that had the XFX motherboard. I have not had any problems to date on this computer. I also like the Gigabyte motherboards, but these EVGA, XFX, and other company's have much better prices for what you get. I like to keep as much as possible to on-board motherboards because there is usually less problems that way. I really like to throw the computers together, fire them up, install a OS and ship them out the door. That is why i tend to be conservative in my builds. I don't like them coming back with problems( other than the one's caused by customer's).

SRX660

Hussam Magdy

Hussam Magdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well thanks for ur reply :)
I read abt the Q6600 and the E8400 , Um a serious gamer whos been out of the business for a year or more now becoz of my limited computer capabilities ... So lets look at it from a gamer's perspective ... I guess I'll be needing the 8 series card now to last 2 years without building again ... what about that 64 part & SLI , I dont get it ...
and about the quad core , would the 4 processors be needed in gaming , u said u dont use them in everyday use of ur pc... what about the graphics cards, there are quite a few cards in the 8 series with alternating specs, what goes up in one , comes down in another ... and I dont know what um looking for in a card, I have a 256 card that literally sucks ,yet I find cards in the 8 series with 256 MB ...

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think its funny that most of the serious game computers still use Core2 duo CPU's, 8800 video cards, and 32 bit operating systems. So much for using the 64 bit OS so you can see all of the 4 gig memory most install. ALso, even tho there's Nvidia 9600 video cards, the game comp makers subtract from the price if you choose them. They are $40 less than the 8800 cards. Are they Telling you something?

Scalable Link Interface (SLI) is a brand name for a multi-GPU solution developed by Nvidia for linking two or more video cards together to produce a single output. SLI is an application of parallel processing for computer graphics, meant to increase the processing power available for graphics. ATI's version is called Crossfire.

I don't think any game will use all 4 processors in a quad core CPU. Thats why most game computers still use the Core2 duo. Its all they need until new games come out that can use the quad cores.

On video cards go with 512 MB or ram on each card in a dual card system. I find that XFX seems to have the highest speed on their cards. I like using them.

Heres 3 vigor game computers from a cheapie to a WOW in costs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SRX660