Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's the name of this cable?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

At home, I have an Epson Home Cinema 400 movie projector. In December, I purchased an Alienware Aurora 7500. The video card in the Aurora is the GeForce 8800 GT. There are two DVI ports and another port that looks like a modified S-Video port. They call it the HDTV port. I have the PC connected to the projector via one of the DVI ports, but am wondering if the HDTV port will give me a better picture. If so, what will the connector look like on the other end (S-Video, Component, or HDMI)? I have all three of these on the back of the projector. I'm trying to get the best picture possible because I'm thinking about purchasing an internal Blu Ray player.

If this other connector will get a better picture, I need to know the name of the cable. I've been trying to find one all day and can't seem to even figure out what it's called.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Update:

I've changed my mind about this setup. I was just doing some pricing.

The internal Blu Ray player is around $200. To run audio via Fiber line would cost around $30. I found a HDMI to DVI converter cable for another $15. Even still, I'd have to have some software to play the movies on.

From the feedback on various drives, it seems the software for Blu Ray players is spotty. In fact, many people claim they can't watch all of the movies (because of their firmware version or because of the software player). One guy recommended a version of Nero for $100. By the time I did all of this, I could just buy a standalone player and be done with it.

I'd still like to get some feedback on that other port though so I'll know in the future. Who knows...I might need it one day.

Thanks,

Magus