Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection problem

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

New to this site and to Vista. I am having a problem connecting to the Internet wirelessly. Will connect wired. I can access my router and DSL modem wirlessly but I can not get out to the Internet. When I check IPCONFIG, at the wireless connection it has 0.0.0.0 and 192.168.1.1. At the wire connection it just shows 192.168.1.1. From what I can figure out is that I can not get an IP address. I can get out wirelessly with a different computer with XP on it.

Doug

Advertisements

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Believe I have the problem fixed with the help of my nephew. I unchecked QoS and IPv6 and uninstalled Link-layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver and Link-layer Topology Discovery Responder. I can now connect to the Internet through my router. The reason for doing this as the owner of the computer has a cable modem without wireless and has to be to go through a Linksys router for wireless access. This is the first Vista computer that I have had to trouble shoot.

Doug