Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I've got an error but I cant find the cause!

• Please log in to reply

revvvv

revvvv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I get this message whenever I try to run a cd e.g. a game, or program that has a setup file, so music/films are fine.

The procedure entry point ExitProsess could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

note the ExitProsess spelling mistake (should be ExitProcess) I dont know why but thats what it says.

OK This problem started when I donated my old XP to my friend about a month ago, I've had it since November 2001. Diddn't have an internet connection till about a year ago, and then only used it for email, research, patches etc..

I brought it down to my friends house and straight away it wouldnt load any game at all with the same message (the one at the top). However I have got a game working by constantly trying it, cleaning it, trying it again, etc...

I've tried replacing the kernel32.dll and there is no difference, so the problem is intermittent but most of the time it just doesnt do anything!

I'm completely new to this site and here is the first place I've tried asking anywhere, exept i had been religiously searching on google but nowhere seems to have my problem.

If anyone here has any ideas dont hesitate just say!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

I've tried replacing the kernel32.dll and there is no difference, so the problem is intermittent but most of the time it just doesnt do anything!

How exactly did you replace this file?
What service Pack do you have installed?
The spelling mistake makes me think it might be a virus, (we'll try some troubleshooting first)
What protection tools do you have installed?

Regards,
Olrik

revvvv

revvvv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got the replacement from dll-files.com, im not sure if its safe but there was no alternative at the time.

I got microsoft SP2 intsalled, and the only protection is avast antivirus, and its got spybot s&d for spyware.

I was also thinking it could be a virus, in which case I may just backup all necessary data and re-install windows. The computers been going for nearly 7 years so I dont perticularly mind.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

I got the replacement from dll-files.com, im not sure if its safe but there was no alternative at the time.

It's actually not safe at all. Use your official windows CD instead.

I suggest you put your Windows CD in the CD drive and follow these steps:
Open start menu and select "Run"
then in that runbox type sfc /scannow

Regards,
Olrik