Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Mozilla and outlook take hours

• Please log in to reply

hwic

hwic

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello and thank you in advance for your help

My internet explorer is running really slow as is mozilla and outlook express. I know it is a computer issue and not anet issue as I am posting this from my PS3 which browses fine. Ran NOD32 scan and fixed everything. Is there something else I can check? I can't even get my email. Thanks!

ps..also did winsockfix and it didn't help

Edited by hwic, 15 June 2008 - 02:44 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you run the Windows' Disk Cleaner and Defragmentation utilities? After starting Disk Cleaner and letting it complete its population and before actually running it, select the Options tab and run the clean old restore points option first. Once that completes, it will return to let you finish the Disk cleaner operation. Make your choices of what you want cleaned.

You also may be severly infected with malware. If running Disk Cleaner and Defragging the hard drive doesn't help, then I recommend going to the Malware section of this forum and follow the instructions at the top. Especially the Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials page. That will give you several steps that will help you clean up most of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the cleanup process you are still having difficulty, and you may not be, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Please be patient as the "Malware Forum" is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the Malware Section, please return to this thread. Please do not post a HiJackThis log in this thread unless asked to do so and then only as an attachment. To attach log, when requested, either change the .log extension to .txt, or put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

Please post back if your problem has been solved.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 15 June 2008 - 04:49 PM.

hwic

hwic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Ron and thanks for replying. I will do as you suggest and post back here if needed. I did find out that running in safe mode mozilla seems a lot faster...at least it loads this page :) I will post back when and if this gets resolved.

Thanks

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Will be looking for your update. You shouldn't have to run Mozilla in its Safe Mode so hopefully we can get that corrected.

Ron

hwic

hwic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I ran everything the Malware forum suggested and whatnot and the problem seems to have gone away. I am still a little leary since nobody has looked at my Hijack scan so I am not sure what crazy things I might have missed. Seems that SuperAntiSpyware took care of the problem. Great program! Everytime I run it though it seems to find something different when i haven't even gone onto any webpages yet. Will keep checking on this. Thanks again!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You don't have to go to any web pages to get infected. In fact, you don't need to open any browser. Just being connected to the Internet is enough to infect a computer. That's why a very good firewall should be installed and used along with more than one program to scan for viruses. No one program can keep their database updated with all the latest malware that is on the Internet.

You should have someone look at the HJT log within 3 days. If noone has, please report it at The Waiting Room.

Ron