Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus P5N-D only recognizes 2.5 out of 4GB RAM, why?

• Please log in to reply

Dopher

Dopher

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I reciently built a new PC with an ASUS P5N-D system board. I have 2 @ 2GB Corsair DDR2 XMS2 memory modules in it. XP Pro only sees 2.5GB. The BIOS sees each stick at 2GB, but not Windows.

Anyone care to share why that is? Thansk!!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

There are plenty of answers out on Google if you want to go looking, start searching here. XP is a 32-bit operating system, (unless you specifically have 64-bit), which has a RAM limit of 4GB. Windows "allocates" part of your RAM for other uses, hence only showing a smaller amount. This amount is usually around 3-3.25GB, but is obviously a bit lower in your case, as every computer is different.

Cheers

Troy

fdriller9

fdriller9

• Pip
  • 7 posts
is it dual channel?....i know some mobo's (like mine) require you to skip a slot in order for dual channel to work properly, check your manual

Edited by fdriller9, 16 June 2008 - 06:49 PM.

Dopher

Dopher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I believe it is dual channel and it is in the appropriate slots. The strange thing, to me, is the BIOS show 2GB per slot, so the system board recognizes 4GB, but Windows XP Pro 32bit only sees 2.5GB. I even rebuilt the box, cuz i had to anyway, and got the same thing.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

The strange thing, to me, is the BIOS show 2GB per slot, so the system board recognizes 4GB, but Windows XP Pro 32bit only sees 2.5GB.

Hi again,

It's not strange once you've read my response and researched why it happens. :)

Dual Channel doesn't have anything to do with how much memory is installed in the first place.

Cheers

Troy

spsanderson

spsanderson

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have the same problem with x32 Bit win 7 I guess I'll be upgrading to x64 as you get up to it looks like 7TB capabilities

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Various devices in a typical computer require memory-mapped access space which must reside within the first 4 GB of address space.

For example, if you have a video card that has 512 MB of onboard memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. This reduces the total amount of system memory that is available to the operating system by 512 MB.

The amount of reduction in available system memory depends on all the devices that are installed in the computer. If a computer has many installed devices, the available memory can be reduced to less than 3 GB.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If you cant install x64 Windows, you can add /PAE to your boot.ini entry.