Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys Wireless-G w/ Speedbooster giving me a heck of a time.

• Please log in to reply

darrincgt

darrincgt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there, I'm a newcomer to the forum as you all can see but I am in serious need of some help.

I run a HP (I know, shoot me), relatively new with XP Media Center, and I've been using my aforementioned wireless networking card for almost a year with limited to no hassle and very good reception and success.

However, this morning I come in from work and all my network monitors are off and I am no longer online. Upon further inspection, my Wireless-G w/ Speedbooster which normally has 2 very bright LED lights (one marked power, one marked link) are so dim I mistook them to be off! I've unplugged and replugged it into every USB port on my computer and hub, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and nothing will help!

I urge you to help me! I've got an English final I must research for due tomorrow. Thanks so much in advance.

Advertisements

darrincgt

darrincgt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there, I'm a newcomer to the forum as you all can see but I am in serious need of some help.

I run a HP (I know, shoot me), relatively new with XP Media Center, and I've been using my aforementioned wireless networking card for almost a year with limited to no hassle and very good reception and success.

However, this morning I come in from work and all my network monitors are off and I am no longer online. Upon further inspection, my Wireless-G w/ Speedbooster which normally has 2 very bright LED lights (one marked power, one marked link) are so dim I mistook them to be off! I've unplugged and replugged it into every USB port on my computer and hub, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and nothing will help!

I urge you to help me! I've got an English final I must research for due tomorrow. Thanks so much in advance.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Is it possible the wireless card just went out? Have you tried using another card?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
You can also try to power cycle the modem/ router/ computer.
Turn every device that has Internet off.
Then turn on the devices from outside to in.
Modem first, then Router then PCs.

Regards,
Olrik

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Apologies for delay in replying to your problem.
I don't know if you still require assistance but it sounds to me like the wireless card may be toast. Do you have a network (ethernet) port on the HP? If so, the simplest solution for now would be to connect to your router using an ethernet cable.

BTW I wouldn't shoot you for having an HP. You may deserve to be shot for running XP Media Center however....