Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Auto updates Norton 360

• Please log in to reply

Allipops

Allipops

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi can anyone help. Norotn 360 says it does automatic live updates, so why if I press do liveupdate does it download updates? Surely these would have been brought across when the automatic live update ran? I am worried in case the computer is not getting the updates. Plus the machine had 5 viruses until i manually pressed the live update button.
Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
LiveUpdate has to download stuff to see if there is anything to update. Unfortunately it can't just look at a website somewhere and go "oh yes, this, that and the other has changed". This is typical Symantec behaviour to download a bunch of updates it needs to download and then to download them.

Allipops

Allipops

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok that I can understand, but I still cant undertand why the machine had the viruses then when I pressed live update it updated and cleared them. Why hadnt it cleared them with the automatic updates? :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Because Automatic Updates means what it says on the tin - it's updated automatically. That's all it does, its then up to the rest of the program to use the new update information for whatever it needs to. A lot of other programs tend to do a quick common scan on a new update but Norton doesn't do this.