Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32 error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wehey

wehey

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello...

Attempting to help my colleague out with his laptop here, the machine is behaving absolutely fine excluding one persistent fault.

Whenever a 'cmd' command is given in the Run window, Windows returns a "cmd is not a valid Win32 application"

I can however access the Windows command prompt via the Start menu. Once in the command prompt, commands such as 'ping' etc. return errors such as "C:\WINDOWS\System32\ping.com is not a valid Win32 application"

This is a relatively new problem and I'm slightly baffled, any help would be really appreciated. Is this malware or a windows corruption?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

N.B System is running XP SP2, I can see avast! anti-virus is running and I'm afraid without any more specific questions I don't know what you need to know. Sorry this has appeared twice, I'm really just confused as to which forum this particular fault would need to appear in...

Edited by wehey, 16 June 2008 - 01:44 PM.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please don't post at multiple places

Lets see what the tech guys find in Windows XP

If they think it is malware related, PM me and I will reopen this topic