Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Installing recovery software to second hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

First off, I have an HP M7680n desktop pc running XP Media Center. I have not been able to boot recently due to a few Stop Errors (BSOD) and i ordered recovery discs from HP. I just received them and I realized they would totally wipe out the hard drive. This computer has dual 250 gb hard drives of which the second one I have not used for anything yet. I was wondering if it would be possible to install the recovery software on to the second hard drive and possibly being able to read the first drive from that install. If so, how would I bypass the first drive to install it on the second drive? I have stuff on the first hard drive that I would hate to lose. Any help or alternate suggestions would be appreciated.

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to geeks to go!

The recovery software will most likely insist on installing to drive C: which contains your existing Windows XP. To avoid overwriting this my plan of action would be to first swap over the two hard disks so the empty one becomes drive C: and the existing XP will then be on drive D:

If you do swap them over and they are both sharing the same ribbon cable you should change the jumpers at the rear of each drive so that the new C: is master and the new D: is slave. Then use the recovery discs that HP sent you.