Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

linking laptop to 30inch monitor

• Please log in to reply

TheRock_123

TheRock_123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a HP pavilion dv8387ea and i wanted to buy a 30 inch monitor to link it to so i can have lots of windows open at the same time without overlapping.

My questions is, is it possible to link up say a Dell3008WFP, or any other 30inch monitor to this laptop, and if not is there any component i can get to make it work on this laptop.

If this is not possible can anyone tell me any good laptops that can link up to a 30inch monitor and what it is that is necessary to look for so that it is possible.

Also what are the best 30inch monitors out there that people would reccomend, i am mainly using it just to play poker and do other simple stuff. No gaming or anything to taxing.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The brand of the monitor is irrelevant and the laptop name, brand and model are also irrelevant for this situation, but thank you for sharing :)
This laptop has a standard VGA port on it. You can connect it to any monitor that will take a VGA input, which is pretty much all of them. Newer monitors with DVI input on them only would need an adaptor but you can pick those up from anywhere for next to nothing.

Edited by Neil Jones, 17 June 2008 - 03:54 PM.

TheRock_123

TheRock_123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply neil, from reading various things across the internet it seems that using the VGA port isnt going to be very effective trying to run a 30inch monitor at full resolution.

Is this laptop likely to be able to use the dell3008WFP effectively using HDMI, or is it completely neccessary to have dual-link graphics card fitted.

http://www.johnlewis...98/Product.aspx

Any answers to this and the previous questions also would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.