Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

dansully

dansully

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My brother's computer will not turn on the light on the power switch does not come on. I opened it up and it was pretty dusty inside. How can I test power supply? What else can it be?It is a gateway 3250 s pentium 4 windows xp. Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If there are no lights or activity at all the power supply unit has blown.
There is nothing to fix, just swap the power supply unit out with a new one.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

It sounds like your PSU is toast but there is a simple way to check for basic PSU function. Please follow these instructions exactly:

Disconnect the power lead from the computer then open up the computer case.

Unplug the main (20 pin) ATX power connector from the motherboard. This will be the large white rectangular plastic connector with lots of different coloured wires going in to it.

Next, disconnect the 12V ATX connector from the motherboard. This is a square 4 wire connector (2 yellow, 2 black) that plugs into the motherboard close to the cpu.

Find a bare metal paper clip & straighten it out (or use a piece of wire of similar length & thickness). Once straightened, bend the wire into a narrow U shape.

Plug the external power lead into the rear of the computer. If the power supply has it's own power switch on the back, make sure this is turned on.

Take the large 20 pin ATX connector & locate the green wire. This should be pin 14 in the diagram below:

atx20m.gif

Insert one end of the paper clip into pin 14. Make sure the paper clip is pushed up far enough into the connector to hold it in place, then insert the other end into any of the positions that have black wires. (I usually choose pin 16 or 17 for this).

As soon as both ends of the wire are firmly inserted, the PSU should power itself on (i.e the power supply's fan should kick in). If it doesn't, it's toast.

dansully

dansully

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tested the power supply and it is no good. I'm going to pick one up tommorow. Thanks for the information