Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Do Preliminary Steps (Hijack)work for Vista

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fppilo

fppilo

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi. I'm Frank P. I checked the preliminary guides for use before posting a Hijack file here. The instructions and downloaded applications seem to date as far back as 2004. I am running Vista Home Premium so am concerned about running clean-up tools and such that predate Vista. Would you provide me with some guidence about what to use with Vista?

I found this site after a web search for solutions to removing a nuisance that appears to be named Ad Yield Manager. It is popping up random web pages, brings my system to a crawl, and seems to be interfering with my keyboard inputs. If I type a 5 letter word a character or two is dropped unless I type slowly. Concerns me that it is intercepting keystrokes.

I run McAffee Security Center and have also tried both Ad Aware and PC Tools Spyware Doctor. NOthing seems able to clean this AdYieldManager.

Please lead me through this with Vista.

-Frank

Edited by fppilo, 17 June 2008 - 04:57 PM.

Advertisements

fppilo

fppilo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'd recommend cleaning up the information on the separate forums so that they are consistent. It had me confused.

Yesterday I found the "click here before posting a Hijack log" in this forum and followed the steps I found there and started a new topic with my Hijack log.

I originally started this topic and am replying to now it to advise it may be closed. My question in this earlier topic was not how to remove malware, but instead if the tutorials in How To Guides and Tutorials and those in Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials and the links provided there were safe to use in Vista. The primary information in one of those two appears dated in 2004, which was before Vista.

I'd recommend cleaning up the information on the separate forums so that they are consistent. It had me confused. I am relatively experienced and can envision others may be confused as well.

Frank

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
All those steps do work on Vista

They wouldn't be in that topic if it was only for XP machines

Since you have another topic open, I am closing this one. Please keep your posts in the one topic