Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Links On pages wont work....

• Please log in to reply

MrUnknowItAll

MrUnknowItAll

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all, well Im just gonna get right down to it. Im having a lil bit of a problem with my internet. I just got a new HP and Ive been having my fun, but just the other day I went to click on a link to get a bigger picture of these shoes and nothing happened. So I talked to a friend and he gave me some programs to run. I found a whole mess load of stuff wrong and after hours of updating and virus removal, I prepared myself for a new internet experience. Well I went to the same site and clicked on the shoes again and nothing happened. An hour glass popped up, the internet seemed to freeze and then nothin happened, the cusor just came back. I am totally stummped as is my computer nerd friend. I found this website and hopefully someone can assit me.

I used Ad-aware and spybot to remove the virus's and I even activated Norton Anti-Virus. They all found somethin wrong and I removed them all, or at least I thought I did. I updated my windows and Im running SP2. What could be the problem?

Advertisements

MrUnknowItAll

MrUnknowItAll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just an update on my comps situation. Well now the internet has seemed to gone down. My computer is on a home network and my other 2 roomates have internet connection, but my computer says I dont. Ive checked the cable connection on the router and on my computer and everything seems to be okay. What could the problem be?

MrUnknowItAll

MrUnknowItAll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nevermind about the internet problem that i fixed. But the links on the pages still not working. I havent been able to figure that out yet. Ive got all the updates from Windows, including SP2. I dont knw what the problem could be though. PLease help when you get the chance. Thanks

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Go to Start -> Run
Then type or copy&paste regsvr32 urlmon.dll
Click OK when finished
If that single change does not resolve the problem, repeat the process by running regsrv32 with the following dll files.
Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll

If this does not fix it, download IEFix from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/iefix.htm

Let me know,

MrUnknowItAll

MrUnknowItAll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tried all of the options you said but it didnt seem to fix the problem. Well only a little bit. Some links would work but most of them wouldn't. I tried to download the Hijackthis log and I had to right-click and use Save Target As to get it to download. What else could be the problem

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Do you have a popupblocker installed that could be overachieving?

You could also consider installing another browser:
http://www.mozilla.org/
http://www.opera.com/
At least try one until the problem is solved. You may like it so much, you don't want back. :tazz:

Regards,

MrUnknowItAll

MrUnknowItAll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i posted a hijackthis log in the malware forum to see if someone could try and help me fix the problem but no one has gotten back to me yet, so well see what happens. I would try one of those browsers but I cant seem to download them on the computer. It wont let me, it does the same thing as when i click on a link.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Can you point me to that log?
It looks like you posted it under another account, sibnce your post count is at 5 and they all are in this thread. :tazz:

Regards,

MrUnknowItAll

MrUnknowItAll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sure....that log is here:

http://www.geekstogo...53

Its titled Links on Internet not working....

And it its posted by a friend of mine, FutureWoWplayer.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I posted there. The req.dat may very well be causing your problem, so let's stick to that thread for now.

Regards,