Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Latitude D600 Hard Drive Replacement

• Please log in to reply

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I posted (over a year in fact) and now I am in desperate in need of your advice.

I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop computer. It currently has a 60gb hard drive which has now completely died.

a) Can I actually replace the hard drive? Or do I need a new computer?

b) If I can replace the hard drive, can I buy the 100gb hard drive and install that instead, or does it have to be the 60gb hard drive? To be honest, the 60gb wasn't really enough so the extra 40 gigs would come in handy.

The computer is our lifeblood at home for contacing our families (both of whom live abroad) and it's our only one. We get married in just under a month, so we really can't afford to buy a new computer just yet. Help!!

Many thanks in advance....

Edited by malcolmlusby, 17 June 2008 - 03:01 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yes on both counts (hard drive can be replaced and you can put a 100Gb in it). If a machine can see a 60Gb it'll see a 100Gb easily.

Edited by Neil Jones, 17 June 2008 - 04:01 PM.

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Very grateful Neil! I'm okay on the software side of things, but I know nothing about hardware upgrades etc so wanted to check and be sure. Thanks very much...