Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOGIN-LOGOFF LOOP PROBLEM AND CANT FIX

• Please log in to reply

kezzaneedhelp

kezzaneedhelp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey

my computer the other day started with the problem of a message appearing when i logged in "userinit.exe- Application error"
"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005) Click on OK to terminate the application". the desktop didnt show. no icons, had 2 use task manager 2 open programs...

anyways, i googled up sum results on how 2 fic and found this:

Run Regedit.exe
• Point your cursor to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
• Select File > Connect Remote Registry
• Type computer name (infected computer)
• Navigate to the following location in registry of destination or infected computer

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

• Edit these two values in right pane:

Shell
Userinit

• Change these two values to
Shell=explorer.exe
Userinit = x:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

• Exit from Registry
• Restart Infected computer.
• You should be able to log on to computer.

so i followed it, restarted my comp, and now its on the logon-logoff loop PLUS i've tried many things such as running the recovery thingy using the XP cd and coping the userinit files... :)

wondering if any1 could help plz :) , there r files on my comp that r really important. thnx :)

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi kezzaneedhelp,

Here are quiet usefull suggestions hxxp://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_wel_screen.htm

Regards,

mirso