Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply

miajm

miajm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I cannot start my computer because I get the error message - Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.

This came up after the power went off and I tried to restart my computer.

I have tried using a windows xp disk to use the recovery console to repair it, but when I get to options for which windows installation I want to log onto the only options I have are 1: H:\MiniNT and 2: H:\I386. I get no where trying to list or rebuild with the bootcfg command.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Or does this mean the hard drive crashed. :) I noticed when looking for instructions on how to use the recovery console the normal options are 1: C:\Windows and 2: J:\Windows.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi miajm,

Fixboot followed by fixmbr will generally repair it. If not, boot from the CD, ignore the "recovery console" prompt and wait until windows detects "previously installed versions of Windows" and at that point elect to REPAIR.

Cheers,

mirso

miajm

miajm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey mirso

I tried the fixboot and fixmbr and it still won't boot. When I ignore the recovery console prompt, nothing happens.

Thanks, miajm

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi miajm,

Please go to this link hxxp://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole.htm and folow instructions on the screen.

Cheers,

mirso