Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell dimension 5100 boot failure question

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
this stop message appears when I try to boot. I have not done any updating on this XP Prof system
anyone able to help?

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi geno368,

The dells have an express hard drive diagnostic utility (f12 on the dell logo, select ide diagnostics). If it is a hardware issue, it usually fails on that test especially with that unmountable boot volume. If it passes boot to the windows xp cd, press R on the welcome to setup screen type in chkdsk /r that fixes most unmountable boot volumes.

hmmmm and if it fails on the ide test, call dell tech support and have it replaced.

Regards,

mirso

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Thanks for your reply...the chkdsk /r fixed the problem

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
your welcome geno368...

Regards,

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
I was wrong...it is still not fixed..I got another blue screen stop...I did an F12 diagnostic test and got a fail with a return code 7...what now???lol

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi geno368,

Unfortunately my friend, code 7 indicates a failed drive. That should have been FAILED DRIVE - the hardware has failed - you need to replace the HDD.

Regards,