Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Emptying Temp folder

• Please log in to reply

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hey everyone,

A while back someone told me to delete all the files in my Temp folder in C:\Windows\Temp. But I'm not quite sure what's safe to delete and what will altar my computer's performance. I've noticed quite a lot of .wmf files which I know is windows media, but I don't know what they are. Most of them start with mso, such as msoCA.wmf and mso14.wmf. Also, there are a lot of .cct files, such as mp12737.cct and mp1989.cct. There are also .tmp files and .dcr files and quite a few log files on there as well. Does anyone know if it'd be okay to delete some (or all) of these items? It's hard to do a Google search of each file, because I think they might all be unique to my computer. Any help would be appreciated, I think this is taking up a lot of space on my computer and I'm trying to free up my C drive.

Thanks in advance. :tazz:

-Kevin

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You can delete them all...some will not delete if they are currently in use...don't worry about those.

If you want, reboot, the go directly to temp, Choose VIEW details, then click the colum header MODIFIED to sort them in order, and delete everything modified before today

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks a lot, Don77!!! :tazz: I downloaded Cleanup! like you said and I don't know what files it deleted but it freed up half of my C drive space! I have partitions, so I also have a D, E, and F drive and I usually put all my programs on D since my C drive is the smallest space (2.25 GB). Well, my C drive has been building up and I only had about 980 MB left no matter how many programs I uninstalled and deleted but Cleanup cleared it right up. ;)

Just another quick question, and this can be answered by Don or anyone who knows. Everytime Norton fixes lost clusters during scan, it saves them as a backup on a _dd file. I don't know what they are but I have about 90 of them and I'd like to delete some if I could just to make more room. I don't know if they're important though and if deleting might mess something up. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again Don,

-Kevin

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
delete away

kroberts

kroberts

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
You have obviously sorted it, but for info, I usually re-name the temp file as temp 1, then create a new temp file, re-boot the machine and run the pc to make sure all is well, then delete the temp file as nothing will be used in it as nothing will have a path to it! If ever there was a problem, you only need to re-name it! :tazz:

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I've been deleting my Temp files for years now never with any negative results. I use the program Index.dat Suite which creates a batch file loaded at next boot deleting lots of stuff including the infamous index.dat files. It seems similar to the program Cleanup! mentioned above but I don't use Cleanup! so I'm not sure how well it works or compares to ID Suite.

I say delete it all and keep your system clean!