Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to tell what key is what

• Please log in to reply

Anthony2oo5

Anthony2oo5

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm forever formatting computers and reinstalling with the nightmare of trying to figure out which product key belongs to which version of windows. Now I know in most cases when they come from Dell or other manufacturers, that its going to be OEM, but its not always the case. I find myself having to start a virtual machine and trying different types of versions of windows until it allows me to continue.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for an easier method to figure this out?

Thanks for your time,

Advertisements

SandV4

SandV4

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
My way is to make a backup copy of the OS disc and write the Key on the disc itelf. Never have to worry about kosing the key for that specific disc or os. Another way I found is to check the tiny print on the outer rim of the disc if it is labeled. I have seen where it actually says "FOR RELEASE WITH BLAH,BLAH,BLAH" Hope this helps.

Anthony2oo5

Anthony2oo5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes but when you get a customer bringing you the computer, they dont provide the CDs 95% of the time.

Was just wondering if there was any software that could tell you the version the key is for.

Thanks for your reply.

SandV4

SandV4

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
What about the license key that is usually glued to the computer? Unless you have customers that for some reason remove it.