Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with picking the right motherboard

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I have been looking online and there's too many different statements for me to be able to make a good decision.
So I turn to the people who have helped me in the past.
I'm in a position to buy either an E7200 or an E8400 tomorrow.
However, I've been told that I need to be careful of what board I buy because of the chipset support.
I was also told that I might have to flash the bios.
I haven't flashed anything before, that I remember. And I don't have another pc to use to dl anything. Nor do I have a floppy drive.
This processor and motherboard will be installed with a fresh version of xp pro.
I know some of the better P35 boards are Asus, MSI and Gigabyte.
Also, there are some new boards out, P45, that run on DDR2 memory. THese boards can be had for a reasonable price too.
SO would some of you please give me some suggestions.
The pc will be used mostly as a family/soho pc with more office, photo and music than anything else. Probably some light gaming once in awhile.
Thanks for any help.
jst42day

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

The Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L is a great board that will support either of those processors no problems. It would be a good choice for your uses. The E8400 (which would be my choice :)) is supported, while the E7200 is supported from BIOS version F4 (latest release).

If it doesn't work straight out, and you have no components to perform the flash, a local computer shop would be able to do it for a small fee.

Cheers

Troy :)

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Thanks, Troy