Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer stuck in an incredibly-annoying loop

• Please log in to reply

joehedge

joehedge

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently turned my PC off at the mains due to a freeze/lack of patience. Next time i turned it on, i cannot get it to work.
When switched on, it says
"we apologise for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully
A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shutdown to protect your files or folders, choose last known good configuration

If a previous startup attempt was interupted due to a power failiure, or the power/reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose start windows normally."

It then offers the options
"safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows normally"

When choosing last known good config, or start windows normally, the compter proceeds to the screen with the windows XP logo and the bluie loading bar, before flashing up a blue error message screen for a time way too short to read, then resetting and going back to the loop

If i choose the safe mode, it begins to flash up type, all starting with "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS/System32/(DRIVERS, Drivers or drivers)
then stops at
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS/System32/DRIVERS/agp440.sys"

I have browsed other forums on the web, and suggestions have been to restart XP from the CD-ROM. I do not however have the disk, as when i bought the PC i was not given the disk. It was a custom built, and the shop it was bought from has since gone bust, so i cannot contact them and ask for the disk.

Other the other suggestion was that the agp440.sys was the problem and that it was a video driveror something to do with the sound/graphics card (it was not that clear) however other websites (http://marc-bourassa...dead-xp-system/) suggest that this is a red herring.

I am at a complete loss of how to fix it, and ask anyone for suggestion and help.
Please note i am in no way an expert on comptuters, so please try and keep language simple to understand.
Much appreciated

Edited by joehedge, 17 June 2008 - 04:10 PM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Do you have any friends that have the same "flavor" of windows? (Pro or Home)
If your friends have such a CD you can borrow it from them.

Follow the post made by our own admin here:
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Regards,
Olrik

joehedge

joehedge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have tried asking a friend he says he will come and do it but that was last week! Obviously he's not keen as me.

Anyone have any other suggestions i can try while i wait?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Not much I can think of.
Maybe some other techs do though.

Because the file is broken the only thing I can think of is doing a repair.

Regards,
Olrik

joehedge

joehedge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok thanks Olrik.
Off on holiday now but will try to get the disc and do the repair once i get back.
Will keep updated with whether it works.

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hm. Seems one of your system files is fatally damaged.

My advise is to take the hard drive out of your computer, and find someone who has the same XP version (home, professional). Ask him to connect your hard drive to his PC, since you can't log in, and can't replace the damaged file.

So connect your hard drive to a working PC, and copy that corrupted .SYS file to your hard drive. Not sure, but this might work with some luck.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Reator,

It's safer to just do a windows repair.
The function is there for these cases.

Regards,
Olrik