Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access mozilla.org from any browser.

• Please log in to reply

Conte Rules

Conte Rules

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi guys,

Today for whatever reason, my network has decided not to allow me to visit mozilla.org in my browser (or mozilla.com, firefox.com..).

I can ping the websites with cmd just fine.

This happens on all my computers in the house, one is connected to the router through an Ethernet cable, the others are wirelessly connected.

None of these sites are in my HOSTS file, on any computer.

Using ipconfig /flushdns does not work.

Shutting off my router, waiting a while, and turning it back on does not work.

I can access mozilla.org using an online proxy site (like people use at work/school).

I can access them if i change my DNS to opendns. You may of heard of it, just google it if not.

It doesn't work in Firefox, or IE (using default DNS).

All machines involved are more than likely malware free, as I am notoriously careful.

I happens on XP and Vista.

Here is the exact error that firefox gives:

Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

I'm guessing it's a DNS problem but I am fairly noobish with network things. I've tried everything I know to do.

Anybody have any idea what this is about?

note: everything else works as usual. it's only mozilla.org and sites that redirect to it that I am having problems with.

note2: it's not the firewall either.

Edited by Conte Rules, 17 June 2008 - 10:22 PM.

Advertisements

Conte Rules

Conte Rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well I took the tried and true method of not doing anything else and now suddenly everything works fine.

What could this have been?

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Could have been due to the release of FireFox3 and a heavy run on their servers......

Conte Rules

Conte Rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I thought so maybe, but I could access it using opendns and other people I know could access it (different ISP than me).

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Every time a Firefox version or update is released the Mozilla site cannot cope. This has been the case for the last few revisions now.
Things were not helped this time round by the attempt to get into the Guinness Book Of Records for most number of downloads in 24hrs. Who's bright idea that was obviously didn't check that the sites could cope before running with it.